Luke Family

Friday, May 2, 2008

So today I took the girls to McDonalds after school to get an ice cream cone. Actually, I took myself and they just happened to have to go with me. Anyway, while we were there, I noticed two kids sitting alone at a high table. There was a boy and a girl. He was probably 11 at most and she looked about 9. Zoe and Kamdyn both noticed that they were by themselves and that they didn't have a mommy with them. Even I kept looking around for their mom to come join them from the soda fountain or maybe she was getting napkins or something. I immediately felt so sad for them. I personally believe that all kids should have an adult to go home to after school.
After watching them for awhile, I was so touched by the way this brother took care of his sister. He was so sweet to her. They were eating and he asked her if she was done and made sure she didn't throw away her toy from her Happy Meal. I wouldn't have been surprised if he used his own money to buy their food. After they were done eating, he went in and played the video game thing and she played in the play area thing. After awhile they were done and they walked out the door and I watched as they walked down the street.
I really just wanted to pick them up and ask if they wanted to come to my house after school everyday. Then, I figured that would be pretty weird. It was weird anyway that I was dwelling so much on these kids.
As I sat I found myself thinking about their mother and judging her thinking how she could do that. Then I caught myself. I thought I am sure that there is not a night that she doesn't lay in bed wishing that she could be there for her kids after school. I am sure she knows what a great kid she has looking after her daughter everyday. I am positive that she is just doing the best she can with what life has given her. Just like me. I hope she has a great Mothers' Day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Things like this make me sad. I hate seeing homeless people or runaways that hang around downtown Santa Cruz and not be able to give them some money to by food or a jacket or a poncho or something. It is worse with kids. Sometimes I feel sad for my own kids when I see them get picked on by older siblings of friends or whatever. You have to let them grow up on their own but you still want them to have it smooth and not hard. I do however take as a time to count my blessings.

May 3, 2008 at 3:14 AM  
Blogger S.Miles said...

Kody wishes he was one of those kids on a daily basis. Whenever he see's little kids (5,6,7,8 year olds...) walking to school alone- he tells me -"see Mom, they get to...why don't I?" He BEGS ME to let him stay at daycare EVERYDAY and thinks I am a horrible mother for not allowing him to ever have any "fun." Whatever Kody. This post gave me chills. I don't know if it was the heart felt message that was coming across my computer screen or just my air conditioner blasting freezing cold air on me as I type this. Either way- I was touched.

May 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Knight said...

That was a great post. A lot of times moms judge one another harshly. Thank you for your great example!

May 7, 2008 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Knight said...

That was a great post. A lot of times moms judge one another harshly. Thank you for your great example!

May 7, 2008 at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home