Luke Family

Saturday, September 29, 2007

What a weekend...




Never a dull moment with us. On Friday afternoon, I was on the phone with our mortgage company for our condo. That's another blog in itself. So annoying. All the sudden, Zoe yells out "Mommy, Peyton ate Great Grandmas medicine". I look at her and she sticks her tongue out like she is so proud of herself. I am still on the phone on hold with this lady. I tell Zoe to go get Grandpa so I could find out what the medication is for. Well, he rushes down and informs me that it is for her diabetes. Great. I rush the mortgage lady off the phone and then I consider who to call first. I called her pediatrician and they are at lunch, then the emergency room, who then tells me to call poison control, which is really who I thought I should call first anyway. The lady says (in the nicest way possible) "wow, that 's not good. You need to take her in right away." So, of course I feel like total crap that I was on the phone and didn't see her take it. Thankfully Zoe saw her and told me right away or the situation could have been even worse. Yeah for Zoe.


It's a good thing that my dad is semi-retired (that's what we are calling it now) and was home to stay with Zoe. I called Steve and said he needed to come home right away because I was taking Peyton to the emergency room due to the fact that she took a pill and that he needs to pick Kamdyn up from school at 2. I head to the hospital and they take her in right away. Can you tell how serious this is? They took her in right away-in an emergecy room. Poison control called over to have them prepared. Poor Peyton was so good. She had to drink this stuff that is completely black and looks like tar. They call it Charcoal. I really don't think I would have done it myself. She just chugged away. This is proof of what we have thought all along-Peyton does not have taste buds. Apparently it tastes as gross as it looks. She got an IV and of course cried for a minute. They started giving her sugar water in her IV to up her blood sugar. Her blood sugar was below 50 and should be over 100. They then informed me that she needed to be supervised in a PICU and Simi Hospital doesn't have one, so they were going to transfer her. Los Robles was full and Tarzana was the next closest. She was pretty excited to go on a trip in the ambulance. I wish I had a picture of her. They had her in a car seat, strapped to a gurney. She loved it and could see people out the back window as we drove. She was waving to everyone. Typical Peyton being her happy self. Finally we get to Tarzana. I get her admitted and she is doing ok. Her blood sugar wasn't high enough yet. She got to eat lots of crackers and PB and juice. She loved it. They had to check her blood sugar level every 2 hours. We thought it was turning around, but then at 4 in the a.m. her lever was back down to 50. She had to eat more and they were giving her an IV with the sugar water again. She had to be pricked everytime they checked her. She was ok at first, but then she knew what was coming and everytime she saw the machine she started freaking out. All in all she was really good. We were finally able to be discharged at 11:30 the next morning with stable blood sugar. She was so happy to see her sisters when they came to get her. Poor little thing. She is now resting and back to her normal self. Attitude and all. Mother of the year right here!


On a brighter note, after all the waiting and ups and downs and annoyances, we found out, in the middle of all of this chaos, we have a house!! We are very excited. Finally my parents will be free of us and all our crap!

(in the picture the white thing on her arm is an arm strap so she didn't pull out her IV and so she kept her arm straight)

8 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

What happened to Dr. Janelle? You should have had her roll around on the tennis ball

September 29, 2007 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Steve and Janelle said...

even my expertise could not have helped her in this case. Back to medical school I must go.

September 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

I'm glad she's okay! What an ordeal.
I am so excited for your house!! Does that mean you'll be in our ward?!?

September 30, 2007 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger redstarmama said...

Yaaaay for Peyton having normal 2 year-old blood sugar again! And super huge yaaaaaay for the house!

September 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger S.Miles said...

I'm really disappointed that I didnt make it into this blog. You forgot to tell everyone how I saved the day by bringing you her carseat. (and a diet cola for you!) Maybe next time you could think of some other people besides yourself in your blog. On a lighter note- I am so excited for you to move into our ward. We told everyone today at church! And I mean everyone. Rumor has it they need people in Young Mens and Primary. Oh, and nursery too...they are taking "volunteers" for now which basically means anyone who walks by the door now becomes the teacher. *note to self- DO NOT WALK BY NURSERY DOOR!*

September 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger edmundsfam said...

So if I take one of Grandma's pills do I get to lay around all day eating crackers and PB and juice? Hmmm.....
I'm glad she's ok. Scary. And FYI- poison control is not ever very helpful. One time Cali drank clear nail polish and they said the same thing to me- "that's not good." Really lady?!
And congrats on the house!! Does this mean I won't get to see Grandma in her underwear any more?

September 30, 2007 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Steve and Janelle said...

oh yeah, Shannon saved the day bringing over the car seat so Peyton could go in the ambulance. She also scored me a delicious (not really) turkey sandwich and Shasta Diet Cola (not so good). Thank you Shannon!!! (Was that enough?) The story was already too long. Sorry I forgot to add it in. Sharalyn, you can come over and see grandma in her underwear anytime. No prob! You're special like that. I actually stole a thing of PB from Peyton cause I was so fricken hungry again at 2 a.m. It really was pretty good.

September 30, 2007 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Steve and Janelle said...

p.s. I no longer do nursery.

September 30, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home